Ingredients for 2 people:
2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 oz guanciale (salt-cured pork jowl), finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
3.17 oz per person Tagliolini
Finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan
1. Prepare the tomato sauce:
Cook onion, guanciale, olive oil and white wine in a large pot over medium-high heat, add peeled tomatoes and water, stirring occasionally, until water is evaporated and fat begins to render, 20 minutes. Sprinkle salt, black pepper and sugar.
2. Add reserved tomato purée and bring to a boil. Cover pan partially with a lid, reduce heat, and simmer until meat is tender and flavors are melded, 40–45 minutes.
3. When sauce is almost done, cook Tagliolini, al dente, in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally.
4. Add pasta to sauce and toss to coat.
5. Serve the dish topped with Pecorino and slice of guanciale as garnish.
We insist on our food being seasonal, contemporary, and full of Italian heart: these are the three ingredients that enhance every dish.