Palazzo Strozzi, Florence
A masterpiece of Florentine Renaissance architecture, Palazzo Strozzi is located between Via Strozzi and Via de' Tornabuoni.
Its acclaim derives from the historic dispute between the Strozzi and Medici families. After having been exiled from Florence and having amassed a huge fortune as a banker in Naples, Filippo Strozzi in fact returned to his native city with the specific aim of building the tallest palazzo ever seen in Florence.
At least 15 buildings were bought and demolished for the construction and subsequent expansion work, which commenced in 1489 and were completed in the latter half of the 19th century.
Following its 1999 restoration, Palazzo Strozzi in Florence now houses the head offices of three important cultural institutes: the Gabinetto G.P. Vissieux (a scientific-literary association), the National Institute of Renaissance Studies and the Italian Institute of Human Sciences.
The Strozzi Foundation, in charge of the management of the Palace's communal spaces, organises international exhibitions. Recent events the De Chirico, Balthus, Magritte and Max Ernst exhibition, the history of Trompe-L'Oeil exhibition and the Caterina de' Medici exhibition.
Palazzo Strozzi also houses the Strozzina Contemporary Culture Centre.
Piazza degli Strozzi
Florence - Italy
Tel. +39 055 2776461/06