Massa Marittima Cathedral
Saint Cerbone Cathedral, the city’s largest church and a magnificent example of Pisan Romanesque-Gothic architecture is located in the lovely Massa Marittima, overlooking the characteristic Piazza Garibaldi.
Its construction began during the mid-thirteenth century and continued between 1287 and 1304 with the construction of the presbytery and the polygonal apse.
The interior is characterised by a sturdy structure with three naves on columns with finely sculpted capitals. The interior façade preserves the remains of frescoes dating back to the 13th and 15th centuries and a polychrome rose window from the 1300s that depicts the Redeemer in glory and the Histories of Saint Cerbone.
The walls of the right-hand nave are decorated with the Madonna in glory with Saints Joseph and Bernardino and two monks, attributed to Antonio Nasini (late 17th century) and a Virgin Nativity by Rutilio Manetti (17th century).
A niche to the right of the cross features the Crucifix on painted wood by Segna di Bonaventura (14th century).
A door to the left of the high altar leads to the reliquary chapel, which contains a rich collection of relics and treasures, and to the substructure where the Ark of Saint Cerbone is kept, a masterpiece by Goro di Gregorio of Siena.
Cathedral of Saint Cerbone
58024 Massa Marittima (GR), Italy
Tel. 0566 902237