Leighton House in Kensington, central London, was the home of Lord Frederick Leighton (1830-1896), president of the Royal Academy, collector and painter.
Leighton House is immediately striking, with its bizarre architecture that is quite distinct from that of the other beautiful historic homes found between Kensington and Holland Park.
A masterpiece of Orientalism, it was in fact designed and modelled on a Moorish palace in Palermo, with interiors lined in beautiful majolica.
Among the noteworthy rooms is the Arab Hall, with its 15th and 17th century polychrome tiles from Damascus accompanied by the tiles of the nineteenth-century painter and ceramicist, William de Morgan.
A mosaic frieze runs along the marble-lined walls of this magnificent room, and a beautiful fountain takes centre stage.
The museum hosts works by Frederick Leighton and his Pre-Raphaelite contemporaries, such as Whistler, Moore and Burne-Jones, along with the exquisite ceramics and inlaid wood collected by Leighton during his frequent travels to the Middle East.