Icon Museum, Venice
Inaugurated in 1959 near the Church of San Giorgio dei Greci in Venice, the Museum of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Icons of the Hellenic Institute hosts rare fourteenth to seventeenth century paintings, precious illustrated volumes, vestments and hand-crafted items of great historic and artistic value.
The true treasure of this museum is undoubtedly the collection of 337 icons donated by the Greek Orthodox Confraternity and by private collectors.
Most of the icons are wonderful examples of the Cretan school, alongside a few works from the Paleologic period of Constantinopolis, such as the Madonna and Child, Apostles and Saints and the icon of Christ “in Glory” with the Apostles.
Situated in the School of San Nicolò, this is only Byzantine icon museum in all of Europe.