Gran Caffè Quadri, Venice
Inaugurated in Venice in 1775, the Gran Caffè Quadri, which is still in its original location in the Procuratie Vecchie of St. Mark's Square, is one of Italy's oldest historic cafés.
It was renovated and extended in 1830, with the addition of an upper floor to serve as a restaurant. Since then, time has stood still, and even now its stuccoes and frescoes of Venetian landscapes take visitors back to the nineteenth century and bring the illustrious clients of yesteryear back to life.
George Byron, Stendhal, Richard Wagner and Marcel Proust were just a few of the celebrities who, during their stays in Venice, would often be spotted in the Gran Caffè Quadri.
The café’s historic recipe is Gelato al forno, an amaretto and almonds mousse with scorched meringue.
The extremely refined restaurant, the only one in St. Mark’s Square, serves seasonal fare made using only the very freshest ingredients, to be savoured while enjoying the panoramic view.
Those opting for the outdoor seating area will be accompanied by the famous Quadri Orchestra, which has always provided the sound track for one of the most famous and romantic squares in the world.