Founded in 1451, the School of San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, also known as the Scuola Dalmata di San Giorgio e Trifone was one of the trade schools and seminaries of Venice, and continues to attest to this very day to the important role that the Dalmatian population (the so-called Schiavoni) played in the city’s history.
The School gained particular recognition on receiving the precious relic of St. George in 1502. In the same year, Carpaccio gave the School his works on the cycles of St. Jerome, St. Tryphon and St. George. The latter, depicting the famous St. George Slaying the dragon, is the most important.
In all there are nine oils on canvas, divided into groups of three, with each group dedicated to one of three saints the school was named after.
In addition to the aforementioned painting of St. George Slaying the dragon, the colours and attention to detail of the paintings of St. Jerome leading into the Monastery and The Vision of Saint Augustine are also worthy of mention.
Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni
Corte San Giovanni di Malta 3259a
30122 Venice - Italy
Tel. +39 041 28828