The Bargello National Museum is located in an imposing building that overlooks Via del Proconsolo in Florence. Built around the mid-thirteenth century for the Captain of the People, it later became the seat of the Podestà (high-ranking officials) and of the Council of Justice.
Home to some of the most important Renaissance sculptures since 1856, the building was officially dubbed the Museum of Sculpture in 1886, in celebration of the 500th anniversary of Donatello’s birth.
In addition to its sculpture collection, the museum also houses Gothic and Renaissance objects donated by Antiquarian Louis Carrand, the weapon collection of Ambassador Costantino Ressman and a valuable collection of vintage, 6th to 18th century fabrics donated by Giulio Franchetti.
Of the sculptures, some of Michelangelo’s works stand out, such as Bacchus, the Madonna and Child, Brutus and David-Apollo.
Donatello sculptures include David, in bronze and in marble, the bust of a young man and the bust of Niccolò da Uzzano, and the Marzocco, emblem of the city of Florence.
The Bargello National Museum also hosts works by Giambologna, Jacopo Sansovino and two panels depicting the Sacrifice of Isaac, created by Lorenzo Ghiberti and Filippo Brunelleschi for the commission of the Baptistery’s bronze north door.
Also worth visiting is the splendid collection of Italian majolica produced primarily in Urbino, Faenza and Venice.
Museo Nazionale del Bargello
Via del Proconsolo, 4
50122 Florence – Italy
Tel. +39 055 265 4321